It’s a challenge via an app I have that encourages you to set goals and reach them. It didn’t seem at all daunting when I found it. 500 words? In my sleep! Well, maybe not.
It’s actually been very hard. In my attempts to write every day, I’ve found three things to be true:
- I don’t have enough time in one block to knock it out.
- It’s much easier to craft a complete thought in 100 or 300 words.
- Writing every day just to write means posting stinky prose.
So why keep trying?
- Because time will never be the easiest to come by so I shouldn’t quit for lack of perfect time.
- It’s stretching me to think carefully and quickly and beyond a super shortie super long prose comfort zone.
- This is good for my perfectionism, challenging my notions of what’s beautiful and what’s enough.
So my encouragement to you is this: write (or whatever that thing is for you) and aim for faithful practice. You may not produce a publishable book but your ability to try will skyrocket as fear dissipates and discipline sharpens. Enjoy the journey.